Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Walk Worthy



I was extremely distracted.
Felt guilty because I didn't want to be there.

Last Sunday morning in church, right on the front row, I thought of absolutely 100 things except what Bro. David was preaching about.




It wasn't his sermon on Ephesians 4 or his style that had my mind wandering, it was that:


1. Abby was due home after 2 weeks of summer camp.
2. Abby and I had not done hardly any communicating during those two weeks (very unusual)
3. The past two times I had spoken with her, she had been in tears.
4. Jae's memorial softball tournament was happening 20 miles away without me. I needed to be there. It's rude to have 100 volunteers working at the event and me not be there.
5. We had a guest music director (which was why I felt I couldn't miss church). Extremely nice man, but unfamiliar music directors are stressful on lil 'ole piano players like me.

All of the above combined made for a "restless listen".

Then,...yesterday,....I began to remember the scripture passage of his sermon.

Walk worthy of our calling.
Walk worthy.

The verses beg us to "walk worthy of the high calling which we have received."

To "walk" means we are going somewhere.
It's intentional and directional.
It's active.

I've been given a gift of a very high calling. God Himself has called me to live (walk) for Him and do the things He wishes me to do.
I'm a servant of the King.

He has lovingly called my name.
I need to remember to walk each moment in a way that brings Him pleasure.

Walk.

Worthy.




I've thought of that phrase almost every hour for two days.

The written word of God is a living thing which can re-enter my mind hours after I tuned it out.
Thanks to Bro. David for the passage.


Thanks to my Lord and Savior for loving me in spite of my messy self.

1 comment:

Candace Kay said...

This verse reminds me that I don't have to run or sprint or cross-country ski or repell mts. or jog in 98 degree heat (like I saw someone doing two days ago). It tells me to walk. Even though it appears others are flying by me...I am to keep walking. How gracious of our God to remember how tired we (I) are so it's OK to simply "walk." Thanks for this, Becky. I love it how your mind and heart tarries with the whisper of God's word.