Sunday, November 21, 2010

Oatmeal and Crisco

Casey and I watched a movie a couple of days ago called "Julie and Julia".
Seen it?
It's a true story about a young wife who decided to cook through
Julia Child's Italian Cookbook in a year.
Her blog was huge and evidently the world was fascinated 'cause she had a million followers.

For the life of me, I could never imagine such an attempt because I don't like to cook.
I am no good at it and I'm also a bit of picky eater.
Blogging about cooking is best left up to my good friend Kendall.
Hurry!
Making Becky blog about cooking would be as painful
as making me blog about
tractors or
sewing or
bee-keeping or
hangnails...
BUT.
I woke up Saturday morning with this recipe on my mind.
I distinctly recall copying this very recipe as I sat in 9th grade
Home-Ec at Southside Jr High

These oatmeal cookies were my all-time fave.
Probably because it had a cup of this.

A CUP of shortening!!
Remember friends, that the BAD kind of fats are the kind
that solidify at room temperature.
So the reason we did not instantly keel over with a heart attack after
one of my oatmeal cookies is because our bodies are warmer than room temp.
Thank goodness the Crisco continues to sludge around in our arteries rather
than plug one of them up.


I had to dig my sifter out from somewhere.
Showing off my stuff like Kendall does.
Uh-oh. Kitchen intruder.
(Actually,..Casey's the best cook in our house)
I rolled half the dough into balls for cooking
(as directed).
I ate the other half
(not directed)
I'd show the finished product but got too busy and didn't photograph it.
So there you have it.
Inspired.
The first and probably last post that will ever appear here related to my cooking.

1 comment:

Kendall Jones said...

Love the post! And thanks for the shout-out!