Monday, September 22, 2008

James 4

I Love Casey's church in Fayetteville. It's called the Christian Life Cathedral and it's where I'm sure I would worship if I lived in that town.

This past Sunday, the preacher, Bro. Steve Dixon had us listen to the bible passage he preached on but he insisted that we keep out Bibles closed. Then he read the first verses of James 4.
This is what he had on the PowerPoint screen:
James 4:1-4

"Where do wars and fights come from among you!? Do they not come from your desires for pleasures that war in your members? You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and can not obtain. You fight and war. Yet, you do not have because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on pleasures.
You _____________!
Bro. Steve then wanted us to fill in the blank.
He asked "What does James call us?"
Idiot?
Fool? (my guess)
Numb skull?
If you're like me,...the answer will create quite a stir in your mind and heart.
James calls us,.....adulterers.
Bro. Steve explained that our relationship to God is often likened to a marriage. Our connection to God is a covenant union and He has no tolerance for things which come between us and Him.
The passage in James talks about lust and jealousy.
Those are relationship words.
We say we are joined to God, but then we try to stay immersed in activities that can only be described as worldly.
Being married to Christ,..but loving the world.
How many things in my daily walk are not Holy?
What are the motives for my prayers?
When I'm stressed and squeezed,..what comes out of me? God things or.....other stuff?
Ouch!
Preach on!
(to me!)

No comments: