Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ist Kings

If you look on the far left sidebar of this blog, you will find that I am studying one book of the Bible each month. In the past, if I do not finish the book by the end of the month, I quit and keep to the schedule.
This month I did not follow that rule. I just finished April's book of 1st Kings.
This sounds corny, but I just could not stop.
I was captivated.

Here is the Becky Russell commentary of 1st Kings:

**
This is a book which discusses the death of David, whom God calls "A Man after His Own Heart". For the first time, I imagined what David's entrance into Heaven was like. The warrior was finally home.
**
His mighty men were with him at the end of his life. Not too long ago, I wrote a post about these men.
**
Solomon's building of the temple was tedious, but that prayer,..oh that prayer! The one he prayed at it's dedication was surely one of his finest moments in life.
**
I read right over the passage and completely missed the division of the Northern and Southern Kingdoms of Israel.
I never did understand that very well.
Obviously I still don't.
**
I don't recall much good that Ahab did.
Ever.
Yet, God extended mercy to him for a moment of repentance.
**
Because Ahab got that moment of mercy, God instead chose to punish his son.
I don't understand that line of reasoning at all.
**
The 22nd chapter holds a hilarious moment of sarcasm in the middle of high drama.
**
A country will follow the current leader.
**
God holds the leader very accountable.

** ********************************
Here's the biggest impact this book has had on me:
Blessing or curses are freely bestowed on individuals which are based on the ancestor's past behavior and commitment to God. The scripture constantly mentions genealogy when discussing a person or situation.
My ancestors, generations back, have had a significant impact on me even though I have never met them.
I am just a small cog in a big wheel.
That's exciting.
That's scary.


I am now praying for God to
give me the courage
to live the kind of life where
God
wants to bless my children
because of me.

No comments: