Wednesday, April 7, 2010

No More Lukewarm

I would love to be a late sleeper, but that's usually not possible for me these days. However, one thing which brings me encouragement at the wicked wicked hour of 5:30 am is listening to David Jeremiah's preaching.
These past few days, David has been teaching about the 7 churches listed in the book of Revelation.
These churches are described as
loveless (Ephesus)
persecuted (Smyrna)
compromising (Pergamos)
corrupt (Thyratira)
dead (Sardis)
faithful (Phildelphia)
and
lukewarm (Laodiceans)

Of that list, the negative ones seem pretty bad: Compromising? Corrupt? Dead?
Where does "Lukewarm" fit?

I wrote about it here once.

THAT church (person?) is where God levels His harshest words.

According to scripture, the lukewarm group of people is the type of church body which actually makes God sick and ready to throw-up!

I remember when I was deeply under the weight of grief, I began to experience more passion for God than I had ever felt in my life. If you know my testimony, you know my spiritual struggles were huge. But even in the middle of my questions and deep ponders, I developed a passion for knowing and following God that I had never experienced before.

Why O why does that kind of passion and purpose have to come at such expense?

I am often afraid that I will go back to my old lukewarm days.
But here's the deal,..I would have never considered myself lukewarm.

Lukewarm is a mixing of Hot and Cold.
A mixture of God and the world?
A mixture of Godly behaviors but no genuine love?
Heaven bound but embracing this world?
Surrounded by the dying and never sharing hope?
Waking up every morning with a long "to-do" list while eternal matters are neglected?
I know from experience that lukewarm people often don't know they are in danger of making God sick.

Luke 12:34 say: For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

I have such treasure in Heaven.
I will never be the same.

No comments: